Getting help filing taxes for seniors and retirees
It’s that time of year to file tax forms! If help is needed with submitting tax forms, check out these resources from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
The IRS provides free publications, forms, and tools to help all taxpayers fulfill their tax obligation:
- Forms and Publications — Get the most popular forms and instructions, or search for specific titles or product numbers. The IRS also offers forms and publications for taxpayers with visual impairments.
- Tools — Find interactive forms, calculators, and other helpful tools.
- Help and Resource Center — Learn about the many free services and resources that the IRS offers to taxpayers.
- Choose a Tax Preparer — Get tips for finding a tax preparer with the credentials and experience to handle your tax needs. Learn how to file a complaint if your preparer has acted improperly.
Special IRS Programs
If you qualify, the following free tax return preparation programs are available:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) — VITA offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and taxpayers with limited English. IRS-certified volunteers provide information about tax credits and prepare a basic tax return with electronic filing.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) — Via TCE, IRS-certified volunteers offer specialized help to seniors (60 years and older) who have pension or retirement questions.
Free Tax Resources for Seniors and Retirees
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers resources to answer your federal tax questions and address topics that matter to seniors and retirees.
- Seniors and Retirees Page —Find answers to federal tax related issues, such as tax preparation and tax counseling, along with information to help you avoid common mistakes or tax related scams.
- Tax Guide for Seniors —Review the federal tax preparation guide for seniors.
- Credits for the Elderly or Disabled — Find out if you qualify for federal tax credits for the elderly.
- Free Tax Preparation Services — See if you qualify for the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which offers free federal tax return preparation for seniors. You can also locate the VITA center near you.
- Life Events that May Have Tax Consequences for Seniors and Retirees — Learn how life events, such as selling your home or beginning to receive retirement benefits, can affect your federal tax returns.
- Frequently Asked Questions — Visit the FAQs for seniors or retirees for answers to your federal tax questions.
Information courtesy of USA.gov