By David Hachmeister, Owner, Care & Comfort at Home for Seniors and Veterans
Usually I like to write about broader and more personal subjects, but this month is quite different. Many of you have asked for additional services from us we could not legally provide. Now we can!
All home care agencies can provide these basic, non-medical services: cooking, cleaning, light housekeeping, bath and toilet assistance, running errands, and giving medication reminders.
In Illinois, we can now do much more! We can provide in-home skilled nursing services — medical services that go beyond those of many typical in-home care agencies.
In-home skilled nursing
Among the additional tasks we can perform are:
- Patient observation and assessment
- Medication administration/medicine box set up
- Complex dressing changes including those that require application of medications
- Patient education regarding medications, diet, disease process, and related selfcare
- Caregiver education
- Tube feedings
- Catheter and ostomy care
- Oversight of aide services
- Reporting changes in the patient’s/client’s condition and needs to the registered nurse; includes inputs and outputs, weight, bowel movement, and appetite
- Other skilled nursing activities (CLICK HERE to learn more!)